In terms of the broader markets, the BSE mid-cap closed lower by 0.09 per cent, whereas the small-cap index closed higher by 0.07 per cent.
Heavyweights like SBI, M&M, Oil India, Nestle India, Allahabad Bank, BEML, Bank of India, BPCL, Bosch, DLF, Dena Bank, HSIL, Hindustan Copper, IL&FS Transportation among others are scheduled to report their quarterly earnings during the day.
However, the BSE market breadth was bearish - 1,528 declines and 1,155 advances.
Sector-wise, the BSE metal index suffered the most by falling 1.55 per cent, followed by energy (1.50 per cent), telecom (1.49 per cent), oil & gas (1.30 per cent), PSU (1.21 per cent), realty (0.99 per cent), consumer durables (0.88 per cent), power (0.72 per cent), auto (0.67 per cent), bankex (0.52 per cent) and infrastructure (0.38 per cent).
"Crude oil prices slipped on Wednesday, but hovered near two-and-a-half year highs hit earlier this week, potentially stalling a record-setting share rally on concerns that India's central bank would hold off on cutting interest rates", Desai said.
Samford teams score high in NCAA's GSR Report
Analysis of the 2011-12 class suggests that Purdue's GSR will improve to the department goal of 85 percent in the spring of 2018. The Razorbacks' two most profitable sports, football and men's basketball, recorded their highest scores in the GSR.
On Wall Street, the S&P 500 lost 0.38 per cent while the Nasdaq Composite dropped 0.58 per cent.
Vinod Nair, head of research, Geojit Financial Services, said: "Market showed signs of consolidation as investors took one step back from riskier assets due to rising oil price and the resultant impact on inflation and deficit". The rupee opened at 65.07 a dollar and was trading at 65.08 against the dollar. Domestic institutional investors (DIIs) sold shares worth net Rs 2,046.07 crore.
Nearly half of the stocks traded in green with Axis Bank, Asian Paints, Cipla and Sun Pharma posting gains to the tune of 3.41%, 2.51%, 2.07% and 1.89%, respectively.
Hope Solo claims disgraced ex-FIFA head Sepp Blatter sexually assaulted her
Solo, when asked why she has not spoken out on the incident before, added: "I was nervous for the presentation". Solo was at the awards show to present the women's player of the year award to her US teammate Abby Wambach .
Other laggards included SBI, Bharti Airtel, RIL, Sun Pharma, ONGC, Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Bajaj Auto and Asian Paints.
- Patriots claim veteran TE Martellus Bennett off waivers
- Former WCVB Boston Anchor Unruh Says Spacey Sexually Assaulted Her Son
- "Obviously he must have wanted to join Barcelona" -Suarez
- AT&T Clashes With US Over Time Warner Asset Sales
- Hulu Lands as First Streaming Service on Nintendo Switch
- Send Facebook Your Nudes So No One Else Can See Them
- Apple iOS 11.1.1 arrives to clean up the ridiculous autocorrect bug
- Apple's much rumoured Augmented Reality headset gets a name, OS
- Meek Mill Sentenced to 2-4 Years in Prison for Violating Probation
- New study on sheep may help research on brain disorders