Victoria and Australian Federal Police tracked Ali Khalif Shire Ali and said he planned to shoot "as many people as he could" in an attack in Melbourne's CBD.
Police will provide more detail in a press conference later this morning.
Prince Harry & Meghan Markle's Wedding WILL Be Televised!!
Kensington Palace said that Windsor Castle, a royal residence west of London, had become "a special place" for the couple. Although Meghan has been married before the Church of England permits divorcees to remarry with a religious ceremony.
Ali downloaded instructions from an al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula website on how to launch a terrorist attack and how to use guns, Patton said.
"The male is one of our high risks persons of interest, we have been monitoring him for a lengthy period of time", Patton said.
The arrest is not linked to any previous raids or terror arrests, police said.
A man who was reportedly planning mass shooting in Melbourne Square on New Year's Eve, was arrested by the Australian police.
Officer Shoots Theft Suspect Inside Texas Mall
She told police that she had loaned the vehicle to Dodd on Friday. "It's believed that's the result of that shooting", Cook said. Cook couldn't say what felony charge Dodd faced previously, citing law which forbids the release of such information by police.
The operation is ongoing however the main lines of enquiry have been completed and at this time police do not anticipate further arrests. People convicted of those crimes in Australia face a maximum penalty of life in prison. Keenan added that in December 2016, the police had taken four extremist in custody over a similar plot to attack Federal Square and other public places in Melbourne.
Search warrants were executed at the man's home, a business where he had worked, and a relative's property.
In the exclusive amateur video, obtained by A Current Affair, Special Operations Group officers can be seen arresting Ali Ali outside a cafe in Werribee yesterday afternoon.
Naval base target, Dec 2015: Two men charged for preparing a terrorist attack, Sydney's Woolloomooloo naval base allegedly a potential target. He is expected to be charged over the coming days.
Kerala 'love' case: 'Never forced to convert', says Hadiya
On Sunday, A Raghunathan, her father's lawyer told NDTV: "Any statement coming from such a mind (Hadiya's) can not be accepted". Asokan has pleaded that his family's suffering should not be reduced to a public spectacle or a reality show.
- Black Friday sales send Jeff Bezos' net worth soaring past $100 billion
- 'Anti-Terrorism' Muslim Alliance Meets in Saudi, Qatar Excluded
- HTC's Unlocked U11 is Now Getting Upgraded to Android 8.0 Oreo
- Actress Naya Rivera charged with domestic battery
- Susan Sarandon Has Some Interesting Theories About Harvey Weinstein and Hillary Clinton
- Fortnite Developer Epic Games Files Lawsuit Against 14 Year Old for Cheating
- Jordan Peele Says Cheeto Trump's Golf Buddy Tiger Woods In "Sunken Place"
- Graham rues Trump's support for Roy Moore
- Transgender people can enlist in military on January 1, judge says
- Is There Really a Christmas Tree Shortage this Year?