On New Year's Eve, however, when Hawaiian Airlines flight HA446 from Auckland to Honolulu was delayed 10 minutes until 12:05 a.m., January 1, it ensured that the plane's passengers would be celebrating New Year's Eve 2017 twice thanks to the 23-hour time difference between the arrival and destination airport.
Because Auckland is 23 hours ahead of Honolulu, the plane "time traveled" as it crossed the International Date Line.
A flight by Hawaiian Airlines did some serious time travelling this week.
Supermoon New Year's 2018 Tonight
The moon is called blue because it's the second full moon in the month and it's red because it's going to be eclipsed. According to EarthSky .org, tonight's supermoon will also be the closest perigee of the year.
The flight, which travelled between Auckland, New Zealand and Honolulu, Hawaii, was scheduled to depart at 11.55 pm on Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017. Eight hours later, when it landed in Honolulu, it was still December 31, 2017.
"They can't say they never had a chance to go back in time!" one Twitter user joked.
So time travel is possible, apparently.
Hollywood Stars Front Campaign Against Sexual Harassment
For years, we've sold these awards shows as women, with our gowns and colours and our attractive faces and our glamour. The meetings reportedly began in October, shortly after Harvey Weinstein was first accused of sexual assault.
But it is not as uncommon as some might believe with planes crossing the International Date Line every day. Many have lived it, but few are the ones who have philosophized in this way. Thanks to the different time zones across the globe!
FlightRadar, a Twitter account that reports air traffic updates, noted that six aircraft took off from Taipei, Taiwan in 2018 but landed in North American cities in the previous year. In other words, it happens a lot.
Utah Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch to retire; Romney could run
Thad Cochran, R-Miss., and then Grassley are next in line of seniority to claim that largely honorific role. Romney wasn't tipping his hand on social media on Tuesday, preferring to praise Hatch for his long service.
- Bills end 17-year playoff drought with win and help
- Powerball ticket sold in central Iowa wins $1 million prize
- U.S. to cut UNRWA funding if Palestinians don't return to negotiations
- Sky Tower fireworks welcome 2018 with a bang
- Wind Chill Advisory In Effect New Year's Eve Into New Year's Day
- First look for Shah Rukh Khan's upcoming film revealed!
- IMA strike: Hospital Services affect in Odisha
- WTI Crude Oil Price Hits 60 bbl, Highest Since Mid
- Justin Timberlake Announces His New Album With A Blockbuster-Level Trailer
- New Year begins on foggy note; 300 flights, 100 trains affected