Taiwan's official Central News Agency reported that the ground floor of the Marshal Hotel, a building in Hualien district, had caved in and people were believed to be trapped inside. At least three people remain trapped. No tsunami warnings have been issued.
Tuesday was the second anniversary of a 6.4-magnitude quake that struck northeast of Pingtung City in southern Taiwan, killing 117 people.
Some people in Taiwan are still scarred by a 1999 natural disaster with 7.6 magnitude whose impact was felt across the island and in which more than 2,000 people died. The quakes continue to jolt the area near Hualien County through early Wednesday morning. "Then it sunk and tilted further and the fourth floor became the first floor", said Lu Chih-son, 35, adding he saw 20 people rescued from the building. One building was partially collapsed and tipped over at an angle, trapping multiple people inside. Today's quake occurred on the second anniversary of another that killed 117 two years ago.
1 deputy killed, 4 injured in Colorado Springs shooting
Two El Paso deputies, a Colorado Springs police officer and a civilian were all injured by gunfire, Carey said. Carey said the shooting started during the investigation of a vehicle theft around 4 p.m.
"We didn't really know what to do", Ms Clarke told TVNZ 1's Breakfast.
"We live in Wellington and we have experience a few but this is definitely so much bigger", she said. "There are many aftershocks and we are anxious the house is damaged".
"Everyone jumps at every jolt". The quake could be felt across Taiwan, CNA reported.
Best Buy to Stop Selling CD's
Evidently, the retailer is now demanding that music suppliers agree to buy back any CDs that aren't sold within a 60 days. The move comes as CD sales continue to decline ; revenue from digital music downloads eclipsed it back in 2014 .
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it had received no requests for consular assistance following the quake.
On Sunday an quake with a magnitude of 6.1 struck nearby.
Here's Your First Look At 'Westworld' Season 2
She continues over a panoramic shot of the wild west: "This world deserves to die because this is your world". Season 2 promises to the other layers that exist within this park, both onstage and behind-the-scenes.
- Light snowfall, freezing rain could create travel delays Wednesday
- Mattis says USA has no evidence of Syrian use of sarin gas
- Colts hire McDaniels as new coach
- New York Mets reach agreement with Todd Frazier
- Here's Every New PS4 5.50 Update Feature Explained
- This time, Bill Belichick out-smarted himself
- Girl (12) arrested after five people wounded in school shooting
- Experts concerned as flu-related deaths continue to rise in Arkansas
- Point against Palace proves Newcastle have stomach for fight, says Darlow
- Trump Awaits a 'Magical Moment' to Ban Nuclear Weapons