Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has been re-elected for a second term with a sweeping majority, garnering almost 92 percent of the total votes, media reports said on Thursday.
The initial results also revealed that Sisi's sole rival in the race, Ghad Party head Moussa Mostafa Moussa, garnered only three per cent of the votes.
A low voter turnout could raise doubts about the election's credibility, which had prompted Egypt's National Election Authority to threaten those who boycotted the vote with a fine of up to 500 pounds (29 dollars) in a bid to push voters to go to polling stations in the hours before the deadline on Wednesday. Early estimates of turnout have varied from one governorate to another.
Writing on his Facebook page, al-Sisi said the number of people turning out to vote was representative of the "greatness of the country".
IPL 2018: New Zealand's Kane Williamson declared Sunrisers Hyderabad captain
Mr Uboweja believes the fallout from the ball-tampering scandal has affected more than just the reputation of Australian cricket. Kane Williamson has provided a rare character reference for under-fire Australian ball-tamperer in chief David Warner .
As ballots are tallied for official results due on April 2, the focus will be on final turnout since Sisi faced no credible opposition. He secured a landslide victory with 96.91 percent of votes in the 2014 presidential election.
A woman takes a selfie with an effigy depicting Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi during the second day of voting in the presidential election in Cairo on Tuesday.
There are about 60 million eligible voters in Egypt. In a nearby polling center the turnout reached 34 percent, according to figures provided by the judges.
Saadia Ali, a housewife and mother of five, said she came because she hopes things will get better.
How To Buy The Huawei P20 Pro
The Huawei P20 and Huawei P20 Pro feature a 24MP (24.8MP sensor) selfie camera with AI beautification and 3D portrait lighting. The gadgets will be available to United Kingdom customers in April but Huawei has confirmed they will not be sold in the US.
However, turnout figures, which were the main challenge facing el-Sissi, remain unclear. Noha al-Nemr, voting in Cairo's middle-class Mohandiseen district, said: "I voted for Sisi of course, because it's enough that because of him, my family and I live in safety - even if there's hardship". "I wish that the next step is to change the constitution so he can run for a third, fourth, fifth, and forever".
Sissi has said that he is not in favor of amending constitutional provisions barring the president from staying in office beyond two four-year-terms. Last week Mr Sisi urged all Egyptians to vote, saying the "entire world" needed to see them in the streets.
El-Sissi has waged a massive crackdown on dissent since Morsi's overthrow.
Some voters said they had received payments and other inducements to cast their ballots.
Bruce: Chance for rain today
There is a 40% chance for showers Wednesday with a high of 70 degrees and a 60% chance for rain on Thursday with a high of 69. Easter Sunday will start off mostly cloudy and cold with temperatures around 30 degrees in the morning in the Denver area.
- Government plans to divest 76% in Air India, invites EoI
- Kim Jong Un to meet South Korean president
- Six-time MLB All-Star Rusty Staub dies at 73
- Iran denies providing Houthi rebels with ballistic missiles
- Malala returns to Pak since Taliban attack, meets PM Abbasi
- Mega Millions Winning Numbers? Uh-uh; Jackpot Jumps to $500M
- Early Warning - Possible Snow - Easter Monday
- Rain will continue tonight for some
- Baidu completes 5G autonomous driving test in China's showcase tech city
- Dow surges 669, clawing back lost ground