"There are several dead, probably including the suspect", a police spokeswoman said.
"At 15:27 [local time], a vehicle drove into the outside area of the restaurant. three people were killed, 20 injured, and six of those seriously injured", police spokesman Andreas Bode said.
Muenster, with a population of 300,000, is located in northwest Germany in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia about 30 miles from the Dutch border.
Central AL Forecast: Cold Thursday Start, Storms Friday/Weekend
The storm threat is expected to end by Saturday with a another cool down expected by Sunday, according to the weather service. There is going to be about a 30-degree temperature difference between Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.
Police also said they found a suspicious object in the van that they were examining to see if it was risky.
The Muenster University Hospital put out an urgent call for citizens to donate blood - and so many people rushed to help that long lines of donors formed.
Anis Amri, a Tunisian asylum seeker who had hijacked the lorry, was shot and killed in Italy four days after a Europe-wide manhunt.
A police spokeswoman in the western city, Vanessa Arlt, told AFP that the driver of the vehicle "shot himself".
Amit Shah likens opposition parties to snakes, dogs afraid of 'Modi flood'
Slamming the Congress president, he said, "When we lost two Lok Sabha seats (in UP) recently, Rahul baba distributed candies ". It is not because we made a mistake. "The countdown for the 2019 polls has begun".
Photographs posted on social media showed tables and chairs strewn outside the Grosser Kiepenkerl restaurant, which is popular with tourists. Armed police were deployed.
Mayor Markus Lewe told reporters that "all of Muenster is mourning this disgusting incident". NPR's Esme Nicholson says the incident was in the city's historic center. It is not in a pedestrian zone, but the area has wide sidewalks where people had been sitting outside on a sunny, spring afternoon, police said.
She described the incident Saturday "terrible news".
The crash is reminiscent of a December 2016 vehicle attack at a Berlin Christmas market, which left 12 dead. Our thoughts are with the victims and their relatives.
Koreas holds preparatory talks to set up Kim-Moon summit
However, they warned that despite the recent diplomatic thaw, North Korea is unlikely to abandon its weapon programme. Here's North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at what was said to be a missile test last May.
- Apple is working on new touchless controls for its upcoming iPhones
- Russian Federation says 1100 have evacuated rebel stronghold Ghouta
- Crew Members Presumed Dead After Marine Corps Helicopter Crashes Near El Centro
- German court orders Carles Puigdemont's release on bail
- US stocks open lower on escalating US-China trade dispute
- Zuma's graft case rescheduled for June
- Champions League: That goal, I didn't expect to score that goal - Ronaldo
- Trump hits Manchin over tax bill vote at West Virginia event
- API shows fall in United States crude-oil inventories
- Victim made a decision to take armed robbery 'into his own hands,' police said