Buckingham Palace has said it will provide updates "when appropriate" but has not provided details about the nature of the surgery.
Prince Philip is getting medical attention after experiencing some trouble with his hip.
The 96-year-old, who retired from full-time royal duties last year, did not attend the traditional Easter service at Windsor Castle on Sunday and his absence has been linked to the hip problem.
Snow expected in New York City on Monday
The big, fat flakes piled up quickly and, despite the temperature hitting 60 degrees the day before, stuck to everything. From Pennsylvania to coastal southern New England, snow accumulation could reach between two to six inches.
Britain's Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in his role as Captain General, Royal Marines, attends a Parade to mark the finale of the 1664 Global Challenge on the Buckingham Palace Forecourt in central London on August 2, 2017.
Prince Philip has spent much of his life in good health, but was treated for a blocked coronary artery in 2011 and a bladder infection in 2012.
It said that the hospital admission and surgery were planned ahead of time. Since 1952, he had completed 22,219 solo engagements.
SB Nation's staff predictions for the 2018 NCAA men's basketball championship game
Villanova (35-4) also has 454 3-pointers this season and 66 during the NCAA Tournament , both records. They've won every tournament game by at least 12 points, defeating three teams seeded No.5 or higher.
The health scare comes at a busy time for the royal family.
Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark was born on a kitchen table on Corfu on June 10, 1921, the only son of prince Andrew of Greece - the younger brother of Greece's king Constantine - and princess Alice of Battenberg.
Queen Elizabeth, 91, has also begun to scale back her duties due to her advancing age, handing over some of her responsibilities to her heir, Prince Charles.
Anthony Joshua retains Heavyweight title
It's not the first time Hearn has spoken of the difficulties in dealing with Wilder's people, and it likely won't be the last. I'm gonna have fun in there. "I was too cautious", he added. "You know, would Joe like a redo, I'm sure he would", he said.
- North Korean Leader Attends K-Pop Concert in Pyongyang
- Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri praises "extraordinary" Cristiano Ronaldo
- Rare Japanese unicorn Mercari to targets rapid US expansion
- Intel announces first ever Core i9 processor for laptops
- To launch next week priced at US$4.99 per-month
- Trump tweets "DACA is dead" after spending Easter slamming Mexico, Democrats
- Egyptian President's Allies Move to Extend His Time in Office
- Dutch Lawyer Becomes First Person Sentenced In Mueller Probe
- United Nations raises $2 billion in Yemen appeal
- Trump offers support to EPA head Scott Pruitt amid ethics scrutiny