French President Emmanuel Macron's office said it was put in quarantine, explaining the disappearance.
A gift from the people of France, the tree planted on the White House lawn originally grew at the site of World War I's Battle of Belleau Wood, near the Marne River in France, in which thousands of American soldiers died in 1918 fighting a German offensive.
Over the weekend, the young oak tree that French President Emmanuel Macron just gifted President Trump vanished from the White House lawn, a patch of yellow grass taking its place.
Former Volkswagen chief executive charged in USA over diesel emissions scandal
The memo was attached to a cover note authored by another senior executive and was addressed to Winterkorn, prosecutors allege. In March past year , VW paid a $2.8 billion fine after pleading guilty to deceiving U.S. regulators with the defeat devices.
The oak sapling, which originated from Belleau Wood - a French World War I battlefield where almost 2,000 US soldiers were killed - was a gift from the French president.
The White House hasn't offered an explanation as to what became of the sapling. The French Huffington Post spoke to a source at Élyseé Palace, who told the publication that the tree was likely in quarantine, as it is not a native species and must go through USA customs checks. The problem: Parasites on the tree could spread to others on the White House property.
Meanwhile, Huffington Post quotes an unnamed official at the Elysée Palace, who said the tree is under quarantine.
Twitter reacts to Kanye saying slavery 'sounds like a choice'
That would be the worst thing to stir up the very touchy race situation and you be the benefactor of it... Following Kanye's most recent comments, #IfSlaveryWasAChoice was immediately created to mock him.
For a minute, it seemed like the sapling might have been disappeared, mafia-style, after Macron's Wednesday afternoon address to a joint session of Congress. The tree was planted in front of the White House as a physical symbol of the 250-year relationship between France and the United States. Also puzzling is why the White House didn't announce in advance that the planting last week was a purely symbolic event.
Vladimir Putin to attend 2018 World Cup opening match
The Nations League would be a global version of the new competitions which are being introduced by UEFA this year. BC-SOC-FIFA-New Competitions, 128Leagues want Europe to unite, oppose new FIFA competitionsEds: APNewsNow.
- This year's Kentucky Derby doesn't feature a clear underdog
- Flipkart co-founder Sachin Bansal likely to quit after Walmart's deal
- Golden State Killer Suspect Doesn't Want Prosecutors Taking Pictures Of His Penis
- 'Politically Correct Bedwetters': Georgia Gubernatorial Candidate Rips Boy Scouts for Name Change
- Parkland students brand firearm ban during Pence speech as NRA hypocrisy
- LeBron James passes Jordan to set another postseason record in Game 2
- States Sue Trump Administration Over Plans to Weaken Emissions Standards
- Tornado Watch in Effect Until 1 am
- Brexit: PM given 'ultimatum' on European Union customs partnership option
- US Navy veteran who killed Indian techie Srinivas Kuchibhotla sentenced to life