It becomes the fourth Facebook platform to hit the billion-user mark, including the namesake social network with more than two billion users, and the messaging applications WhatsApp and Messenger.
This may be an attempt on Instagram's part to steel a bit of YouTube's thunder, in that it enables users to upload longer and more involved video content, but just like the main app, IGTV is obviously a mobile-first effort.
Rescue ship docks in Spain carrying hundreds of migrants
On the rescue ship Aquarius , women cradle babies, kids play games and people sleep - waiting for their ship to reach land. Italy's Interior Minister Matteo Salvini arrives for gala dinner at the Quirinal palace in Rome, Italy, June 1, 2018.
Doing this as a separate app, meanwhile, could be an effective way to keep Instagram from feeling cluttered with a combination of photos, short images and animations, and the new, longer, content. "While there's a standalone IGTV app, you'll also be able to watch from within the Instagram app so the entire community of one billion can use it", the company added.
Instagram chief executive Kevin Systrom announced the milestone as he unveiled the new video application known as IGTV. In a kind of TV and YouTube hybrid, the app will be organized by channels, which will just lead you to each creator's page. They can also like, comment and send videos to friends in direct.
Instagram made a decision to build a standalone property, because longer videos are not something people typically want on the main app, where videos are limited to 60 seconds.
Technology the enemy as France edges past Australia
It was imperative Australia played with a solid foundation at the back, particularly in the opening exchanges of the game. He was pleased with his players' effort and said the French "didn't know what to do anymore in big parts of the game".
Famed Pomeranian Jiffpom can now share videos up to an hour long on IGTV.
"Longer vertical video on Instagram makes it even easier to get closer to your audience and be discovered by new people."
Instagram is following its parent company into the longer-form video space.
Mexico shakes with excitement over Germany World Cup win
Germany were the clear favourites as they took on Mexico in their opening match of the 2018 FIFA World Cup . It's worth adding that defending a World Cup title is also a lot harder than pursuing one.
- Millie Bobby Brown Called Out Bullies In Her MTV Awards Acceptance Speech
- Rapper XXXTentacion Pronounced Dead After Being Shot In Florida
- Hats Off To The Duchess! Meghan Markle Makes Her Royal Ascot Debut
- John Oliver Rips Trump Administration for Biblical Justification of Family Separation Policy
- Pakistan Taliban chief killed in USA drone strike
- Mexico Fans Set Off Earthquake Sensors With Raucous World Cup Celebration
- New Zealand leader Jacinda Ardern gives birth to baby girl
- Arsenal agree Bernd Leno deal with Bayer Leverkusen
- Eid 2018: Kerala to celebrate tomorrow, rest of India on Saturday
- Five killed in auto chase involving US Border Patrol agents in Texas